As provided for under the Act No. 13 of 2011, the objectives of the ZQF are to—
- Create a single integrated national framework for learning achievements;
- Facilitate access to, and mobility and progression within, education, training and career paths;
- Enhance the quality of education and training;
- Promote education, training and employment opportunities.
- Contribute to the full personal development of each learner and the social and economic development of the nation; and
- Develop, foster and maintain an integrated and transparent national framework for the recognition of learning achievements; and ensure that educational qualifications meet appropriate criteria, and are internationally comparable. These are to be achieved by working together with other appropriate authorities in Zambia.